Galeria Karstadt Kaufhof
Proof of Concept
Karstadt - later Galeria Karstadt Kaufhof - offers a wide range of items, from toys and housewares to fashion. Frequently changing promotions, naturally, come with this. The aim of the digital signage project is to implement new ads as quickly as possible, saving time and resources. At the same time, the branches are to be digitized to a high degree - both at sensitive customer touchpoints and for the sales staff.
Solution & Implementation
The Karstadt department store chain initially started with a basic version of the InStore Assistant app for its sales staff. The app provides information about article prices, availability and other color variants. Furthermore, it offers the possibility to switch between different customer consultations and create customer cards.
Due to the constant expansion of the InStore Assistant, all processes can also be mapped:
- Ingoing & outgoing goods
- Goods relocation and returns processes
- Inventory adjustments and transfers
- Price adjustments
- Label printing in various formats
- Support for the entire inventory process, including documentation, taking into account internal and external counts (e.g. from inventory service providers)
- Control of the digital signage devices (e.g. via push-to-screen function and allocations).
The framework conditions for the different processes can be managed flexibly and transactions can be monitored and finally completed after checking via the sovia backstore.
Digital signage also underwent quite the makeover: selected stores are being equipped with digital signage LED and LCD screens; in Berlin, a 4.5 x 2.5m LED wall is on display inside the shop window. An Interactive Fitting Room graces the newly established Experience Store area in Düsseldorf. Several branches are equipped with self-service terminals and digital counter cards. Finally, Bütema AG takes over all digital signage screens in all Galeria Karstadt Kaufhof branches. In this context, a multilingual BAG solution is also used for the digital signposts (Digital Shop Guide), in which the content (such as floor information / signpost icons / advertisements) can be flexibly and quickly adapted in the backstore.
Digital signage screens from counter card to LED wall are installed. Advertising campaigns can be displayed quickly, easily, flexibly and centrally. Self-service terminals and interactive fitting rooms offer customers information points where they can browse the wide range of products of the department store chain. In addition to the simple labeling of goods prices, the staff on the floor and 'behind the scenes' can now map the entire flow of goods up to large-scale annual inventories with the InStore Assistant app.
Dates & Facts
Total devices in use: 9,700 (smartphones and Zebra TC57)
Per day ...
... more than 750,000 inventory inquiries take place
... up to 200,000 labels are printed
... up to 1,200,000 incoming and outgoing SAP IDOCs and XMLs are processed
... more than 7 million mERP transactions are carried out (e.g. inventory / price corrections, parcel collection in goods receipt, returns, inventories...)
In this proof of concept, GALERIA relies on the following solutions from Bütema AG:
- Content management with soviaRetail
- Quick and centralized content control
- Multimedia content for more advertising impact
- Digital advertising displays for product presentations
- Digital shelf extension via counter cards
- Supporting employees in sales talks
- For handling the omnichannel processes Click & Collect, Click & Reserve, Return to Retail
- Merging and synchronization of data from different systems
- Provision of the current inventory
- Generating meaningful KPIs
- Analyzing, preparing and evaluating KPIs
Design & Development
- Interface to the merchandise management system and online shop
- Implementierung der Softwaretechnologien in interne Prozesse
- Data interface to digital end devices and apps
Karstadt Warenhaus GmbH, based in Essen, is a German department store chain. The two companies GALERIA Kaufhof GmbH and Karstadt Warenhaus GmbH have been working closely together since November 2018. From March 2019 Karstadt and Kaufhof appeared under the common name GALERIA Karstadt Kaufhof.
In January 2020, the two companies were merged into one. When the merger took effect, all rights and obligations of GALERIA Kaufhof GmbH were transferred to Karstadt Warenhaus GmbH, now trading as GALERIA Karstadt Kaufhof GmbH, in accordance with Section 20 UmwG.